Are you ready for the March 3, 2020, Presidential Primary Election?
In 2018, a new law moved California primaries from June to March. The Presidential Primary Election will be held on March 3, 2020.
All voters can vote in a primary election. Voting for President depends on your party preference.
The party preference that you selected when you registered to vote determines which presidential primary contest, if any, will appear on your ballot. You will also have the opportunity to vote on other federal and state offices and ballot measures.
If you selected a party preference when you registered to vote:
• You will receive a ballot with that party’s candidates for President.
• If there is an election for the party’s county central committee or county council, that contest will also appear on your ballot.
• You cannot vote for candidates running in a different party’s presidential primary or county central committee or county council contest.
If you did not select a party preference, or if your preference is for a non-qualified political party in California:
• Your ballot will not include a contest for President unless you take action. To vote for a presidential candidate in the primary election, you must specifically request a ballot of one of the parties allowing voters with no party preference to vote in its presidential primary. A list of these parties will be available on
sfelections.org in late October 2019. Instructions to request a party ballot will also be posted.
• You are not eligible to vote in contests for a political party’s county central committee or county council.
Regardless of party preference, your ballot will include contests for voter-nominated offices:
United States Representative, State Senator, and State Assembly Member; and any nonpartisan offices and ballot measures.
What you can do NOW to prepare to vote for your preferred candidate for President in the March 3, 2020, election:
1. Check your party preference and other registration information using the Voter Registration Status Lookup tool at sfelections.org/reglookup.
2. To change, add, or remove your party preference or other
registration information, re-register online at registertovote.ca.gov or complete a paper registration form.
For more information, visit sfelections.org/2020primary, or call (415) 554-4375.